You may remember we did a post late last month about how cacao was a key player in the tribe of plant medicines. We thought we’d follow on from that and share our favourite ceremonial cacao recipe from contributor and wellness blogger, Lauren Holmes.
As we mentioned before, Ceremonial-Grade Cacao is the highest form of cacao in its natural state. It’s important to know this as there’s a big difference between this and your lunchtime choccy bar!
Shamans and Cacao alchemists use Cacao in specific ceremonies that tend to involve a combination of guided meditation, dance and sound. A ceremonial dose of cacao measures up as 44 grams melted slowly in warm water and muddled with prayers, mantras, elixirs and a healthy dose of cayenne pepper to kick-start its absorption into the bloodstream.
What You Need:
- 42.5 grams of Ceremonial-Grade Cacao
- A large mug of water (225ml)
- A dash of Coconut Sugar or Agave
- A sprinkle of cinnamon
- A few drops of Damiana Root (an aphrodisiac elixir to boost potency and libido)
- A pinch of Cayenne pepper (to speed up the integration of cacao into the bloodstream)
- Coconut Milk or Almond Milk to taste
How to Make Cacao
- Using a sharp knife, slice the Cacao into tiny slithers
- Heat the water on a medium heat until before boiling (you can still put a finger in it)
- Add the Cacao shavings into the hot water
- Set the heat to low.
- Stir the Cacao with a wooden spoon until it is all melted and the consistency has thickened. Allow 20-30 minutes.
- When the cacao has thickened, stir in any additional ingredients, saving the cayenne pepper to add just before serving.
- Pour into a big mug or cup and take a few moments to feel into it, setting an intention before you start drinking.
Note: If you are short on time, you can speed up the process by mixing all the ingredients in warm water and then blend in a nutribullet or blender. Instant Cacao!
- I choose to make my ceremonial cacao with Keith’s Cacao as it is the original and one of the purest on the market, straight from the virgin jungles of Guatemala and with a powerful potency. At the moment, shipping is via the US, so you need to allow some time and prepare to pay shipping costs. Hold tight too, as Keith’s Cacao will soon be available to ship directly within Europe.
Lauren Holmes is a Cacao Alchemist, Kundalini Yogi and Wellness Blogger based between London, Bali and Lisbon. You can stay tuned in with her sharings via instagram, facebook or her website, Everyday Magic.